Sandwiches For Good

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sandwiches For Good

Aidan Cahill, Contributor

While not being a proper club, Mr. Brawley’s monthly service opportunity has evolved into almost that. From a name, the Lunch Ladies, to having its own theme song chosen by its members, Africa by Toto, to anyone not a part of the group, it would appear to be just that. It is so much more, though. 

The Lunch Ladies make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. That might seem like a weird thing to spend an hour doing once every couple weeks after school, but it is all for a good cause. The sandwiches they produce are given out to those in need in Providence. For those allergic to peanut butter, they make alternatives, like turkey sandwiches, also. When the Lunch Ladies meet, they make their sandwiches with background music of the members’ choice. 

At the first gathering, they managed to surpass their goal and produce over thirty sandwiches. This number, at the time, seemed like a good number to reach. However, their quota was met in a very short time, so a goal of one hundred sandwiches was set. The second meeting rolled around. In the morning, many students brought in bread, peanut butter, jelly, and other goods to add to the meals, and once the day ended, it was time for the Lunch Ladies to begin making sandwiches. In the course of the hour meeting, they produced one hundred thirty sandwiches, which were given out in Providence later that day.  

While not mandatory, the Lunch Ladies request any member, returning or new, to bring in bread, peanut butter, jelly, or another thing to be included in the packs. They meet, for the most part, every other Friday after school. While not truly a club, the Lunch Ladies are not only getting involved just to get involved, but they are helping out in the community as well, where they can know they are making a change for the better.