The Talon

• April 8Spring dress code begins today, March 13th. Feel free to wear a polo!

Hawks defeat the Rams!

TJ Deneault, Sports Reporter

Hendricken Tops La Salle, 58-46, Behind a Big Night from Helio Sousa
    Insane. Insane is the one word that can describe what went on Wednesday night in Pepin Gym. With every shot, every basket, every rebound, every second, there was a tone in the gym that could only be described as insane. Helio Sousa had a big night, hitting multiple clutch shots to get the Hawks back into the game after a quick La Salle comeback.
    In the first half, we saw a small offensive game from both teams, with the total amount of points being scored only being 43, and for a Hendricken- La Salle game, that’s unusual. The Hawks were up 24-19 at the half, with their biggest lead being by 12 points. The Hawks got on the board first with a Sebastian Thomas three-pointer, which was set up by a Tyriek Weeks offensive tip-back.
La Salle, down by 8 with 12 minutes to go, got multiple clutch three-pointers from multiple players. With 6:03 left in the game, Tyreik Weeks grabbed an offensive rebound and laid in a basket to give the Hawks the lead. From the second Hendricken went down, Helio Sousa and weeks put the team on their back and led them throughout the rest of the game, scoring multiple crucial buckets and setting up Angel Sanchez and Sebastian Bastillo mid-range jumpers and layups. Weeks stepped up big in the second half with much crucial offensive and defensive rebounds, leading to more Hawks baskets.
Weeks started in place of the injured Cam Hughes, who suffered a high ankle sprain in the team’s trip to New York over Christmas Break. Coach Gomes stated today that Hughes will “be resuming basketball activities hopefully Thursday or Friday,” which is good for the Hawks considering Hughes is one of the only 2 centers on the team, even though Weeks should be listed as a center in most spectators opinions.
Tonight was also the night that top Toronto Blue Jays prospect and Hendricken alumni Thomas Pannune’s jersey number 3 retired. Pannune, in his major league debut, brought a no-hitter into the 7th inning against the Baltimore Orioles.
The Hawks crowd was also a big part of the night, with ever fan cheering their team on in one of the best, if not THE best rivalry in Rhode Island high school sports. The night was full of chants meant to get into La Salle’s head, which happened in one moment with around a minute thirty left in the game, and La Salle players started pushing and shoving, which led to Andre De Los Santos being shoved onto the floor, which led to head coach Jamal Gomes running onto the floor to get his players under control. La Salle’s fans also showed up, but the La Salle fans were quieted each time they got loud, including one moment where Andre De Los Santos scored a layup with a foul and he turned around after the foul and started the La Salle fans directly in the eyes and screamed because of how fired up he was.
The final from Wednesday’s game, Bishop Hendricken 58, La Salle Academy 56. The Hawks next take on Cranston West, Friday, January 11th, at 7 pm in Pepin Gym.
  • Hawks defeat the Rams!

All About Trains

150th Anniversary of the Transcontinental Railroad

• Hawks defeat the Rams!

Clubs

“Paramount” ends most accomplished season in program history

• Hawks defeat the Rams!

Movie Reviews

Captain Marvel Review (SPOILERS)

• Hawks defeat the Rams!

RI in History

Progressivism and the Gilded Age in RI

• Hawks defeat the Rams!

RI in History

Bobby Hackett

• Hawks defeat the Rams!

RI in History

u-Boats in RI

• Hawks defeat the Rams!

RI in History

The Macaroni Riots of 1914

• Hawks defeat the Rams!

Sports

Hawks over Clippers

• Hawks defeat the Rams!

RI in History

Charles “Boss” Brayton

• Hawks defeat the Rams!

Sports

An Interview with Coach Gomes

The Student News Site of Bishop Hendricken High School
Hawks defeat the Rams!