The Talon

• April 8Spring dress code begins today, March 13th. Feel free to wear a polo!

Hendricken tops Classical

Thomas Deneault, Contributor

Hendricken tops Classical 66-53, behind a big night from Bastillo
    The Hendricken Hawks topped the Classical Purples Friday night, with major improvements on both sides of the ball. The Hawks had a big night on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball from center Sebastian Bastillo. Hendricken, playing in its first game since losing 44-41 to Mount Pleasant, had a very well balanced scoring attack.
Bastillo, who came off the bench in the opening minutes, replaced starter Tyriek Weeks, who committed multiple fouls early. Bastillo scored 16 points and dominated the defensive side of the ball. Bastillo contested every shot that came his way, leading to many Classical misses. In the locker room after the game, when asked if he thought his minutes would get busted because of his big night, Bastillo replied with a smile and laugh “as long as we win, I don’t care about my minutes.”
A scary moment for the Hawks came with 35 seconds to go in the half when starting guard Andre De Los Santos had to leave the game with assistance by the trainer after he came up limping after a play. Santos returned in the second half, scoring all of his 9 points in the second half.
Another scary moment for the Hawks came mid-way through the second half when Tyriek Weeks went down with a scary knee injury. Weeks was able to get up and head to the other side of the floor and drain his last mid-range jump shot, finishing off a 9 point game. After the game, trainer Joe Maynard said it was “just a bone bruise” and also stated that he just fell awkwardly on his knee.  With center Cam Hughes playing limited minutes because of his ankle injury, it’s glad to hear that Tyreik is ok.
Star guard Angel Sanchez scored 14 points, including multiple assists which helped the Hawks climb back from an early hole. Guard Sebastian Thomas, who played 24 minutes of basketball before taking a well-deserved break, scored 12 points.
Since the game against La Salle, the Hawks did a much better job of crashing the boards and grabbing rebounds quickly. The Hawks dominated the defensive side but also gave up 3 offensive rebounds to Classical. However, when given a shot opportunity, good or bad, Classical could not finish and missed three-pointers.
Fouls are always a problem in Basketball, but Classical had 10 first-half fouls, which were mainly fouls that could have easily been avoided. The Hawks scored 8 points off of fouls. If those fouls were not committed, Classical could have easily been in the game.
Coach Gomes after the game, “I think as a team we showed some growth and improvement, both on the defensive and offensive side of the ball.” Gomes also stated, “Before the game, we talked about putting into play what we’ve been working on in practice.” The Hawks mainly played a 2-3 zone, with 2 men at the top of the key and 3 down low.
The final score your Hendricken Hawks 66, Classical Purples 53
The Student News Site of Bishop Hendricken High School
Hendricken tops Classical