Hendricken vs Cranston West

Thomas Deneault, Contributor

Bishop Hendricken opened it’s championship campaign with a win vs state title contenders Cranston West, 27-7, on a night that saw a very balanced offensive attack.

Mid-way through the first quarter, Angel Sanchez rushed for a three yard touchdown which, after Cole Peterson PAT, got the Hawks up by 7. Cranston West. Then again mid-way through the second quarter, senior captain Tom Comella threw to fellow captain Angel Sanchez for a 45 yard touchdown pass. It’s Comellas first touchdown pass of what many hope to be a promising final season. When asked if Comella had any offers, head coach Keith Croft said pre-game “Tom has a lot of schools looking at him, but doesn’t have any offers to my knowledge.” Comella is due for an offer soon, most people believe.

The Cranston West Falcons, coming into this year, are one of the many title contenders in Rhode Island and division one. The group looks to start a championship run after failing to make it to the Super Bowl last year.

Before the game, Coach Croft said that being one of the contenders, “we can’t overlook them” and Hendricken most certainly did not. However, in the first quarter, Adres Andujar, who is the team’s new starting wide receiver next to Angel Sazchez, fumbled the ball after a punt return that would have had the Hawks in the red zone. In that moment, it looked as if the Falcons were going to score and get ahead, but thanks to the Hawks defense and two clutch tackles by Nate Reid, the Hawks were able to stop the Falcons on fourth down and turn the ball over.

The Falcons retaliated however, with senior quarterback and standout Cameron Alves throwing for a 25 yard touchdown pass in the third quarter.

Jordan Robbins added to the scoring in the third quarter, with a 55 yard touchdown run to put the Hawks up 20-7 after a missed PAT by Cole Peterson.

The game was also played well on the defensive side. Jason Onye, who received an offer to play football at the University of Michigan, led the attack alongside captain Jake Picard. Onye and Picard were also joined by sophomore-standouts Brandyn Durand and Teighan Jeremy. All four players played a key in last night’s win.

Last night was also a night that saw not much of Angel Sanchez. Besides his first TD run of the season, Sanchez made a few short plays and a few medium plays in the passing game, and helped the Hawks stop the Falcons on fourth down. Sanchez last year averaged 22 receiving yards a catch, which the team hopes to transfer to this season. “As the season goes on, you’ll start to see that we’ll use him more and more throughout the season,” said Coach Croft.

The Hawks are set to face the Cumberland Clippers next Friday September 20th at 7pm in their home opener. The Hawks will be 1-0 heading into the game, with Cumberland being 0-1 after a 21-14 loss to Killingly.  You can catch next Friday’s game on the Hawks Broadcast Network on hendricken.com/live. The final from Cranston Stadium, Bishop Hendricken 27, Cranston West 7.