Hendricken defeats Cumberland 36-14

Thomas Deneault, Contributor

The Bishop Hendricken Hawks defeated the Cumberland Clippers 36-14. The night saw the Hawks dominant on both sides of the ball. Senior captain and starting offensive and defensive linemen Jake Picard took a tipped pass for a 20-yard touchdown return for an interception. 15 short, minutes later, Tom Comella had a 56-yard touchdown run. Comella then connected to junior wide receiver Jordan Robbins for a 30-yard touchdown for the Hawks third score of the game. With all these scores early in the game, however, starting wide receiver Andres Andujar went down late in the second half with a hyperextended elbow. Trainer Joe Maynard said post-game that they’ll take a look at Andres during the week, hoping to get him out on the field as soon as possible. During Comellas 56 yard touchdown run, starting center Micheal Smolan went down with a sprained ankle, and James Gobewole, who ended the night with 41 rushing yards, was seen limping post-game and was trying to keep pressure off his right leg.

With all these injuries, however, Tom Comella was able to rush for 78 yards, pass for 67 yards, and score 3 of the Hawks many touchdowns. After he was asked how is run felt, Comella said “it felt good. We didn’t get the ball a lot to start the first quarter so it was kinda unexpected, but I saw the guy crash and pulled it and nobody was there so I ran it in for a touchdown.” Last week, head coach Keith Croft said that Comella had a lot of schools looking at him, but hadn’t had any official offers yet. Comella’s twin brother Nic is expected to return next week after serving a two-game suspension for a hit in the super bowl. When asked how he was going to prepare for the coming weeks, Comella stated: “We have to watch a lot of films stay disciplined and practice hard this week because these are two of the toughest teams we’ll play all year.” Comella’s been credited by players and coaches for his leadership on and off the field.

Friday night also saw the return of backup quarterback Zach Lavergne, who tore his ACL a little over a year ago against Cumberland. Lavergne replaced Comella in the second half, throwing his first touchdown in almost a year to sophomore receiver Andrew Noland, who also scored his first touchdown as a varsity Hawk.

Friday night also saw the Hawks have a lot of penalties called against them early in the game. The Hawks had three offside penalties on the defense in the first half, which made Coach Croft not happy.

Angel Sanchez is a player who is considered one of the best at his position and was also considered for Gatorade Player Of The Year last season. Sanchez however, only had 12 receiving yards all night and is sure to work hard to prepare himself for the coming weeks.

Many sophomores get their first snaps as varsity Hawks on Friday, with Comella praising them post-game. “They really know how to step up and they’re working hard.”

During half time, it was announced that athletic director Jamal Gomes was named to Stonehill Colleges Athletic Hall of Fame. Gomes, humble as always, said during an on-air interview that he was truly blessed to be in his position. Gomes also said that himself and assistant athletic director and varsity baseball coach Christopher Sheehan have many plans for the future, which involve improving the school’s athletic facilities and partnering with local businesses.

Friday’s game was broadcasted live on the Hawks broadcast network, which you can view at Hendricken.com/live.

The Hawks are back in action next Friday night, when they visit North Kingstown, with kickoff being scheduled for 7 pm. However, it could be changed because of the triple-e virus that is affecting Rhode Island, so keep an eye on the time.

The final from Bishop Hendricken High School, your Hendricken Hawks 34, the Cumberland Clippers 7.