Mrs. Meehan

Mrs.+Meehan

Daniel Franchetti, Editor

Q: Briefly, what is your background in education/where did you graduate and with what degrees?

A: I have a BS degree in Biology/Exercise Physiology with a minor in Chemistry from Fitchburg State College. I am also a M. Ed and I am currently a doctoral candidate in Education at The College at Saint Mary. If all goes well, I should graduate in 2023 (Summer).

Q: What classes or grades do you currently teach?

A: Currently I teach 8th grade science, AP Chemistry, and CP Physics.

Q: What inspired you to become a teacher or to teach in the field you do? Is there a specific story or event you would like to share about it?

A: I did not start college in the education field. I wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon. During my internship at UMASS Medical School, I was asked to teach a high school science class. The local high school was redoing their lab and I was given the opportunity to help the science teachers run lab classes in the UMASS space. This experience, coupled with my years of working with youth at residential and day camp, allowed me to see that my true calling was education and I have not looked back. I love teaching and I am blessed to be able to do so each school year.

Q: Are there any pieces of wisdom you wish to impart to your students which are not related to the curriculum?

A: There are a few pieces of wisdom I would like to share from my own experiences:

Slow down; life flies by so take the time to enjoy the moments.

Take care of yourself mentally, physically, and spiritually; you cannot help others if you do not take care of yourself.

Learn from your mistakes. You are going to make lots of them, and that OKAY.

Find your passion; discover something you love to do and take off with it.

Q: If a full or partial virtual model is adapted, what apps do you plan to use or how will you adapt the curriculum for the new circumstances?

A: In a short time I have learned and used a handful of new apps that I may not have had the chance or even thought of using in a traditional classroom. Some of these include Ed Puzzle, Pear Deck, Gizmo, Khan Academy, Kahoot, SeeSaw, Padlet, Prodigy, Educreations (I am still learning this one), and Looms. I am certainly open to learning and using more, however, I do not want to overwhelm students. Apps are a great way to reinforce a topic and or introduce a new topic, but at the end of the day, I strongly believe that nothing can take the place of well-designed lessons presented in real-time.